St.Helens swimming, water polo and synchronised swimming club was founded in 1885 and originally used baths at Warrington Old Road that had been built in 1878. The club is a founder member of the Liverpool & District Water Polo Association in 1894 and won the first three L&D Water Polo championships in 1894, 1895 & 1896. At that time, the club had a very successful Water Polo team who in 1903 were narrowly beaten in the final of the English Championships.
In 1899 the club was presented with a magnificent shield by the Licensed Victuallers Association. This was to be known as the ‘1/4 Mile Trophy’ and was to be competed for on an annual basis.
The club moved to Boundary Road Baths, now known as Queens Park Leisure Centre, in the early 20th century, the club then shortening its name to St.Helens Swimming Club.
Although a war time league was suggested during the 2nd world war, there are no further records of any club activities until the reconvening of the 1940 committee on the 24th April 1945.
In 1949, St.Helens recorded it’s first championship success since 1911 winning the Lancs County Junior Championship Cup.
AGM minutes in 1950 recorded that membership of St.Helens Water Polo & Swimming Club was at a record level of 474 members, half of them being juniors.
In August 2004 following discussions with the council regarding the short, medium and long term council plans for swimming in St.Helens, the club moved to Parr Pools.
Throughout the 120 year history the club has boasted of many fine swimmers competing at local, regional and national level. Today is no exception with the club affiliated to The Northern Counties ASA, The Merseyside & District, The Liverpool & District and The Bolton & District WPSA.
In the mid 1990’s the club adopted the word ‘sharks’ in its title with a shark as the club badge. However, after receiving permission from St.Helens Council, the club has now adopted the town coat of arms as the badge and swimming under the title of ‘Team St.Helens’.
In 2005, the club was honored when the mayor of St.Helens accepted an invitation to become club president. The club presently has over 150 members and is the largest club in the borough. We have received St.Helens DSC bronze accreditation and continue to work closely with the Council to develop our club. In 2008 the club was awarded ‘Clubmark’ in recognition of it’s achievement in gaining Swim21 status.